Thursday, August 28, 2008

Password Protected

On my way to school a couple of days ago a topic on the radio caught my attention. Roula (the lady DJ) needed to check her email on her boyfriend of five months blackberry. He knew her email address and then asked for her password. She said that it was not that he really wanted to know her password ... but the look on her face when he asked made him wonder what was the big deal about the password.

Everyone that called in seemed to have the same views. Your password is your own. No one should have your password. You shouldn't give it to anyone, not even your spouse or long-term boyfriend.

I just have to shake my head at all of this. What does it matter?

Aaron knows my passwords and all of the websites that I go to are usually saved already. Therefore, every time that Aaron brings up GMAIL he is able to go into my inbox. But even if it didn't come up he still knows it.

He even wrote all of his passwords down in case I needed them if something were to have happen to him or something like that.

So what's the big deal? Why all of the secrecy? I mean, the people had some good reasons ... most had been seriously burned by their significant other, etc. But I just don't think that it's that big of a deal.

Is it because I don't have anything of importance?
Is it because I completely trust Aaron?
Is it because I don't care?

Hm.

4 comments:

WILLIAM said...

I think it is important for couples to keep somelevel of privacy from each other. Not secrets but privacy.

Anonymous said...

I think your password should be something strange but known by your "other"

Williams Brother

sometrouble said...

I sometimes feel funny saying my passwords out loud (even to my husband) because they sometimes contain or are silly words...or I use them because of something goofy from when I was younger that they remind me of.

For example, when I was a little kid I had a "robot suit" made out of a cardboard box with tin-foil on it. I used to wear it around saying "I am a robot seventy six four" (number changed to protect my passwords) and I use that number in some passwords. I have already had to explain that one to him...and he looked at me like I was nuts. I didn't mind sharing that bit of silliness about myself with him, but I didn't like being put on the spot about it.

I feel like he will question "WHY THAT" and I don't want to have to explain where I came up with everything. It's not that I want to hide anything from him, but the passwords and their origins are inside my head and special because they make sense to me and me only.

By the way, I just found your blog. Nice writing!

Savannah said...

Rachel! Love the blog. Love reading your topics!